January 17, 2011

Weekend Warrior: Golden Globes Edition.


I'm interrupting our regular Weekend Warrior post to do a Golden Globes recap, because honestly, all I did this weekend was study and watch the award show,* and I don't think you want to see pictures of me studying. It's not cute, trust me. *Ok, I did take a little study break on Saturday night for a pimento cheeseburger from Rockaway's and to finally see Black Swan.


Anyway, I was pretty impressed with the red carpet. There really weren't too many total disasters, especially if you don't count the usual crazy/awesomeness from the likes of HBC and SWINTON. (If you don't read the Fug Girls already, get on that.) I've highlighted a few "trends" I've noticed (as far as award show red carpets can be an indicator of trends) and picked a Best and Worst from each one, and I'll pick an overall Best and Worst at the end.


Let's start with the obvious: black dresses. People think black is safe, but some of these ladies prove that you can look just as bad in an LBD as in any other color LD:

Best: Olivia Wilde. She looks like a galaxy in the best possible way.
Worst: Christina Aguilera. On someone else, this could be gorgeous, but it really does not flatter her at all, and it came across as borderline tacky.

One trend that made me super happy was green! We know how I feel about that.

Best: Angelina Jolie. I love the long sleeves and her makeup was flawless.
Worst: Elisabeth Moss, but it's really like a "least good" because I don't think any of them look bad.

Navy was also big, on guys as well as girls.  If the sparkle vamp is wearing it, it must be hot, right?

Best: Amy Adams. Navy is perfect for her hair/complexion, and the silhouette is amazing.
Worst: Jenna Ushkowitz. She plays a high schooler, yes, but it was too "prom dress" for me.

Next up, brights! This is one trend that I really do think we'll see throughout Spring/Summer 2011, and I've already expressed my excitement about it here and here.


Best: Claire Danes. If you saw the telecast, you know that her dress was a much brighter neon pink than it appears in the picture, and it was gorgeous. Kyra Sedgwick is a close second though.
Worst: Julianne Moore, because of the wrinkles.

On to the two biggest trends of the night: nude and blush. Both are incredibly pretty when done right, but both can also seriously wash you out if done wrong.

Best: Heather Morris. Great color, it fits her perfectly, and it has sequins. Done.
Worst: Kelly McDonald, which pains me because I love Boardwalk Empire, but the whole thing reminds me too much of a dirty sheet.  Plus it's SO BORING.  At least Michelle Williams gave us flowers.


Best: Maria Menounos, because it's girly and sweet without being princess-y.
Worst: Natalie Portman. The flower. Ugh.

Ok, so the Best of the Best? Claire Danes. I love, love, loved the color and cut of her dress. She was perfection in it.

And the Worst of the Worst? Christina Aguilera. Because this is the South, and "tacky" is about as bad as it gets.

Now I want to hear your thoughts. Do you agree with my picks? Who was your Best and Worst dressed?

No comments:

Post a Comment