July 24, 2010

Book Report.

Oh my, this week has been a whirlwind.  Our house is FINALLY coming together, and we're told that we can start moving back in on Monday!  On top of that, I had to make a quick trip down to Florida to do my bridal portraits yesterday, and J is three days away from beginning the bar exam.  Whew!

With everything we have going on lately, it's a wonder I've managed to read even one book this summer.  On the contrary, I've gotten through quite a few in the past month or so and almost all of them have been really good.  I just thought I'd share in case there are any fellow bookworms out there looking for some new material.  And please share your current favorites in the comments.  I'm always looking for my next read.



1. The Help: My thoughts on this one have completely changed since I first read it.  If you want to discuss, I will be glad to email with you about it.  

2. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks:  If you've ever benefitted from modern medicine, you need to read this book... and try to remember, it's nonfiction.  Skloot does a fantastic job of explaining complex scientific/medical facts and terminology, while still keeping the book completely readable.  There's a little something for the lawyers in there too.

3. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: Maybe I'm a little late to this party, but better late than never, right?  This whole series is fantastic and I highly recommend reading all three books.  Murder mysteries, espionage, conspiracy... what else could you want?

4. A Reliable Wife: A dark gothic novel set in Wisconsin in 1907 about a rich man who places a newspaper ad seeking "a reliable wife" and ends up getting more than he bargained for.  The book starts off slow but it takes a bunch of twists and did not end the way I was expecting (which I love).

5. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake: I happen to love Gabriel Garcia Marquez and 100 Years of Solitude is one of my favorite books, but I understand that magical realism is not for everyone.  This book, though, is much more readable than Marquez's novels, despite the non-traditional writing style (don't expect any quotation marks... there aren't any in the entire book).  The narrator, Rose, can taste the emotions of anyone who prepares her food - a "gift" that she first discovers when she tastes a lemon cake her mother makes for her on her birthday.

6. Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang: No summer reading list would be complete without a little "fluff."  Just read it.  It's hilarious, and, if I dare say so, even better than Vodka.

No comments:

Post a Comment